Starting UIAutomationSpy

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:12 AM
Hi

When I click on the "Start" Button of UIAutomationSpy, it does not start, but rather displays the following in the bottom panel:

"Could not load file or assembly 'System.Management.Automation', Version=3.0.0.0"

Could someone clue me in on :
  • Who (or what) is expected to install this assembly?
  • Where is it expected to be found?
Thanks very much

Jim
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Hi Jim,
this assembly is packaged with .NET 3+.

Normally, UIAutomationSpy should be running from the folder where all files are placed (i.e. UIAutomation.dll, TMX.dll, other libraries). UIAutomationSpy calls to UIAutomation.dll, UIAutomation.dll in turn calls to System.Management.Automation of the version UIAutomation.dll was build with.
As the exception is displayed in the box (not in the exception window), I suppose the exception was thrown from UIAutomation.dll.

System.Management.Automation is the core library of PowerShell. It's placed in GAC and visible across the whole system.

Package UIAutomation.X.Y.Z.NET35.zip requires .NET 3.5 and PowerShell 2.0, package UIAutomation.X.Y.Z.NET40.zip requires .NET 4.0 and PowerShell 3.0 (and this fits to Windows 8 and 2012 by default as they don't have .NET 3.5 and PowerShell 2.0 installed by default).
Package UIAutomation.X.Y.Z.for.Metro/ModernUI.testing.zip is for Windows 8 and 2012 and requires that you imported the certificate packaged with it.

Alex